While it’s not Mother’s Day where I’m from and where my mum lives (Switzerland), the cold weather and all the Mother’s Day cards everywhere really brought back memories of an old favourite we used to have when I was little – fried aubergine! It’s not necessarily light and healthy fare, but BOY, these are GOOD.
What you’ll need (for 2 people)
1 large aubergine
2 eggs, lightly beaten
approx. 100g flour
approx. 100g breadcrumbs
salt & pepper
5 tbs mayo
2 tspn garlic paste
How to do it
1. Slice aubergine into 1 cm wide disks
2. Lightly dust the aubergine disks with some salt
3. Let the aubergines sit for at least 30 mins – this will extract the bitterness / acid. Wipe off with kitchen towel.
4. Bathe the aubergines in the egg
5. Mix the flour and breadcrumbs, then spread out on a flat plate
6. Cover the eggy aubergines in flour and breadcrumbs on the prepared place
7. Heat a wide pan with oil (I used sunflower, you can use rapeseed too). The pan should pretty much be covered in a low level of oil, to allow the aubergines to slightly deep fry
8. Fry the aubergines until golden.
9. Pat aubergines in kitchen towel after frying to remove excess oil. Season with salt & pepper
10. Serve with a lemon aioli sauce (mayo, lemon juice and garlic mixed)