This out-of-this -world delicious cake has become a bit of a spring tradition by my mum. So when the rhubarb is ripe, roll out the recipe…
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 packet of vanilla sugar or vanilla essence
1 tspn baking powder
How to make it:
1. Wash the rhubarb and peel off slightly with a knife, by cutting off the ends first and then peeling some of the skin. Don’t worry about getting all the skin off.
2. Cut rhubarb into 3-4cm long pieces.
3. Lightly soften the butter in the microwave and combine with the sugar and egg in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
4. Add flour, baking powder and vanilla and mix again.
5. Pour the batter into a round, greased tin.
6. Place the rhubarb pieces into the batter, standing upright in concentric circles, one piece close to the next. You want the whole batter to be filled with rhubarb pieces.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven at about 200°C for about 30-40 minutes, until a stick comes out clean.
8. Cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.