I had the privilege of traveling to Japan last autumn. What an amazing place – I will definitely be back!
10 things to do in Japan:
1. Shibuya (Tokyo): walk down Harajuku and up Omotesando.
2. Tsukiji (Tokyo): get up at 4 to see the Tuna auctions. it’s first come, first served for visitors and only a small number of visitors are let in each day so make sure you arrive super early.
3. Sumo fights at Ryogoku Kokugikan (Tokyo).
4. Have some Mochi: traditional dessert snacks made from rice. Tastes a bit like marzipan.
5. Maid cafes (Tokyo): go to Chiyoda to check out one of the many maid cafes. They’re quite weird.
6. Asakusa (Tokyo): see old Tokyo and one of the most important Buddhist temples in Tokyo.
7. Stay at a Ryokan (traditional Japanese house) in Kyoto.
8. See the Golden temple in Kyoto. The shrine of Inari is also fascinating.
9. Naoshima: visit the art island for a couple of days. Make sure you see the Art House Project – it’s a number of old residential houses converted into art installations.
10. Have a Japanese breakfast: soup with egg, veggies and tofu thrown in. Delicious!