125g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
125g butter, melted in the microwave
2 eggs, beaten lightly
A dash of milk (tbspn)
Vanilla extract (4 tbspn or more, as desired)
Lots of unsalted butter (about 3/4 of a pack)
Lots of icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven, 180 degrees fan-forced.
2. Combine the sugar and butter with a hand mixer until light and fluffy
3. Sift in the flour, using a small sieve.
4. Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Mix it all together using a wooden spoon.
5. Into the cupcake cases and in the oven it goes, for about 15-18 minutes, until it “passes the needle test”, ie. no dough left on a needle poked in.
6. Cool down completely.
7. Beat butter with a hand mixer until very fluffy (this is important – otherwise it’ll be really difficult to combine with sugar)
8. Add in 2 tbspn of vanilla extract.
9. Add icing sugar gradually, and mix together until the icing is really thick. If it’s too “buttery” the icing will lose shape once on the cupcake.
10. Mix in food colouring if desired.
11. Add icing into the piping bag, pipe over cupcakes, decorate.